Our keeper experiences are run by experienced members of our expert zoo keeping team and include the following:
- Your session will begin with a safety briefing
- Introduction and meet the zoo keeper team
- Enclosure cleaning and general maintenance
- Preparation of food and special diets needed throughout the zoo
- Feeding of crocodiles and other zoo animals
- Work with animals such as crocodiles, alligators, caimans and monitor lizards
- Opportunity to handle hatchling and juvenile crocodiles
- Assist with care of larger crocodile species
- End of the day debrief and experience certificate
Zoo keepers’ tasks carried out vary depending upon season and animal health and welfare. Some of the activities may include:
- Assist with data collection and animal record-keeping, whether it’s noting the length of a crocodile hatchling, or checking the weight of a tortoise
- Cleaning out dens or enclosures
- Food preparation and feeding – all food is weighed and recorded before it’s delivered to the animal enclosures
- Prepare diet supplements for various creatures
- Observe animals and help check for good health
Experience Information (Updated July 2020 to include COVID19 restrictions)
- Bookings are available all year round, subject to availability.
- Your experience will start at 9am/or 2pm so please arrive promptly.
- Numbers are strictly limited to no more than 3 per session to ensure that participants have the maximum opportunity of working with the animals.
- There will be a comprehensive safety briefing upon arrival – participants will be fully briefed on what they should and should not do in any situation and they will be fully supervised at all times.
- Gloves are compulsory when weighing and measuring, or other close contact. (*these will be provided)
- Crocodiles of the World will take all necessary precautions and as long as participants do as the qualified keeper instructs them, then there should not be any particular danger in the activities.
- Whilst we make every effort to accommodate those with disabilities and/or learning difficulties, due to practicality and health and safety concerns this may not always be possible. We therefore advise you to contact Crocodiles of the World prior to booking to discuss individual circumstances.
- Hardwearing clothes must be worn at all times.
- Please remember the zoo is a tropical climate, which is hot and humid – drinks are available from the cafe.
- After the experience you are welcome to stay at the zoo. There is no need to buy a ticket as entry is included in the price.
- There is ample free parking.
To book this amazing experience
Either purchase your experience online, or phone us on 01993 846353.
- By purchasing this or any of our experiences, you agree to adhere to our Experience Day terms and conditions.
- Children under the age of 16 must always be accompanied by a responsible adult – admission for one accompanying adult is included in the price of junior experiences and for adult experiences if aged between 15 and 16 years.
- People with illnesses affecting their immune system, pregnant or nursing women or women who have given birth in the last months cannot participate in the experience.
If you have any questions or need more information, please contact us at 01993 846353 or email [email protected]